Alright.. I told you there’d be watermelon receipes, and here is another one! I am now down to 3 watermelons, and hoping to make more of the BBQ sauce to can for Christmas! We shall see how motivated I become..
So, I need to first be clear, I don’t like watermelon. I’m not a huge fan of the taste, which to me is boring. I don’t like all the water in the melon. I honestly do not understand what the hype is about! Yes, I’m probably in the minority on this one. I’d rather eat cantaloupe or plums rather than watermelon.
I have to tell you though… I have been trying lots of watermelon recipes and creating new ideas from those. …and guess what? I found a watermelon recipe that I actually LOVE! Seriously. I will definitely be keeping this on my meal rotation in the summer when watermelon is in prime condition.
Creating the watermelon BBQ sauce is the easiest thing, EVER! All you need are the ingredients below. I found that when making my chicken, I used 4 chicken breast pieces. Although, I had TONS of sauce leftover. So, I would suggest doing more pieces or halving the recipe.
- 4-8 pieces of chicken breastSalt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. white distilled vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Watermelon
- Take the watermelon and puree it in a blender (I used my Vitamix and it pureed like a dream)
- Then, I took all the ingredients and put it into a sauce pan. (I used about a pinch of pepper)
- I let it simmer about 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly not to burn any of it.
- Next, I took my chicken breasts, placed them in a ziploc bag, and poured the BBQ sauce over the chicken.
- I let this marinade all day (about 6 hours) until dinner time.
- Then, we fired up the grill and made fresh, sweet, BBQ flavored chicken.